Dewoitine D.520 fighters of the French resistance - Groupe Doret -edit June 2015
The first Dewoitine D.520 fighter constructed for the French resistance was this machine coded '1' delivered to the 1st Groupe de Chasse 'Doret', a unit established by the 'resistance forces of the interior' (FFI) in the Toulouse region. Both the SNCASE (Dewoitine) and the Morane-Saulnier factory at Tarbes had been manufacturing D.520s for the Germans since 1943, but following the Allied landings in southern France (Provence) during August 1944, Morane Saulnier diverted construction to the newly established GC 1 of the FFI. The pictures were taken on 24 August 1944 and the pilot seen in front of the aircraft at Tarbes-Ossun is capitaine de réserve Jean Cliquet, who was previously chief pilot at Morane Saulnier. Note the cross of Lorraine on the rudder and the wing roundels.
Pictures via Michel Ledet at Avions magazine. 'Avions' is the leading French aviation bi-monthly and a special photo report on the D.520 over 20 pages appeared in issue No. 162 (March/April 2008). Back issues are available from http://www.avions-bateaux.com/
Below; D.520 (number black 28) was exhibited in Paris in March 1945 and very probably belonged to the Groupe Doret. Photo via Phil Canonne