Friday 6 December 2019

G-IRTY - the Silver Spitfire's Longest Flight - round the world in a Mk IX





Yesterday, on hearing some aircraft noise as I was returning home after walking the dogs, I stood there awestruck at the sight of the 'Silver Spitfire' with a Red Arrow at each wing. I didn't have my camera or phone on me and when I did actually think to take some shots as they passed at low speed over the Capel Battle of Britain memorial and steadily continued their westbound heading above White Cliffs Country they were gone. The photo above (courtesy Jan de Wit) shows the aircraft at Lelystad the day before (05 December 2109) prior to the last leg home...



The spectacle I was witnessing was the return of the Silver Spitfire after its longest flight. In the sunlight the coloration of the metallic surfaces of the Spitfire reflecting the sky around was a beautiful light blue. The last leg from the Netherlands to Goodwood had been delayed by fog, but represented the completion of a four-month, 27,000 mile world tour. The Mk IX restored G-IRTY, flanked by two Hawks and trailed by the support Pilatus PC-12 will certainly be in my top ten aviation moments this year.




Below; trip highlights video courtesy of the Daily Telegraph - a single click to view here





Photos by "alt-92"  - more here

Also on this blog;