... the following was 'cut and pasted' from a Quora opinion piece..
Yes, we have found out what happened to Amelia Earhart. It just isn’t common knowledge, or part of the written record. Are you asking “Based on your research, what do you think happened to Amelia Earhart?” I can answer that.
Amelia had two aerial reconnaissance cameras installed in her plane. I’ve interviewed the son of the Navy man who installed them. They were spy cameras, she was tasked to bring back any intel about the Japanese building up the islands (contrary to League of Nations) for war. She was not able to give over those cameras.
She missed Howland by about 250 miles to the North East - there was cloud cover and a storm coming up - and she turned west, as had always been planned. She aimed for the Gilberts. Unfortunately, she was off course already (due to her reportedly having a “heavy hand” - she was 200 miles off course to the NE in Dakkar, and previously in Burbank on a test flight with Paul Mantz.) Either way she came down in Mili atoll. That is to say, she landed the Electra successfully on that atoll - but lost a wheel. She was seen coming down by two islanders who were fishing there. One of their sons was interviewed years later by someone I interviewed.
Parts of the Electra have been found and verified by a former NTSB investigator. I’ve filmed an interview with him demonstrating how the parts fit on the only model of the Electra they could have fit on. The Mili islanders were ordered by the Japanese to help move the Electra to a barge. 40 of those people were rounded up - the barge was put into the lagoon, the Electra dragged across the atoll. (the marks were visible up until a few years ago, and some of the equipment used is still there). The Electra was taken to Majuro, put aboard the Kyoshu and taken to Jaluit where it arrived in mid July.
It was at Jaluit where Amelia and Fred were examined by a young medical worker (I have an interview with him as well as his business partner of 40 years who was aware of the story). They were then transported by seaplane to Saipan. The Electra was taken to Saipan as well - the official Navy HQ of the Japanese. (The same way Hawaii was the US base for the Navy, Saipan was the same for them, considered Japanese mainland since 1914.) She was treated at the hospital at Garapan (interviewed the son of a nurse who treated her) and taken to the prison in Garapan.
Fred was tortured and executed for being a spy - they assumed he was responsible for the spy mission. Amelia was held as a bargaining chip that was never used. In 1944 the island was liberated by US Marines who found her briefcase in a safe (Robert Wallack found it, I interviewed him), Marines took Aslito airfield where they found the Electra. (I’ve interviewed three vets who had never met but who described the exact same events and location of the plane.)
The plane was take out to midfield and torched by US forces. Some suggest they destroyed the plane because it would point to the fact that the US had broken the Japanese codes (as early as 1936), knew she was incarcerated there, but could not reveal they’d broken the codes, the same way Churchill hid that he’d broken the Enigma machine). Either way, AE’s body was dug up by two GI’s - she had died of dysentery. However, the GI’s only found her “arm and a partial ribcage.” So where the rest of her remains are a mystery to those who’ve been looking for her, except for the person writing this report, who believes he knows where she is.
The plane was buried at the end of the runway along with dozens of other wrecks that crashed and burned on Aslito. The field was closed, and nearby Tinian became the airfield where the US flew round trips to Tokyo (which is why it was so important for the Japanese to hold Saipan and lost 30,000 men trying to save it). I’ve put up much of this info at EarhartOnSaipan (dot) com, a website I created to document her story as I heard it over the past 30 years. There’s also extensive reporting done in my book “Hacking the Afterlife” but that may not be for everyone.
Why this isn’t public knowledge is beyond me - I mean I understand those with a vested interest in telling an alternate story, but based on these eyewitness interviews, that is “what happened to Amelia Earhart.” She was the first victim of World War II and aside from a gold star in Langley (I’m guessing) she has never been honored for that sacrifice. I have no desire to begin an argument about what happened to her - I’m just reporting what my eyewitness interviews claim. I find it amusing that in my research into the afterlife, I get more angry posts from people upset over hearing what happened to Amelia, rather than what people are reporting on the flipside. For some flipside information about Amelia, I can point to the story as reported in “Hacking the Afterlife.”